Monday, August 24, 2009

see and don't see

marie queenie lyonsi'd recently spent several consecutive days studying with my reiki master. what seemed like magic was happening in real life.

one tough lesson was coming face to face with hard truth. tough.

and this woman knew how tough. marie "queenie" lyons - the lady who covered try me and fever knew that even fevers eventually break... as do hearts. it's all in that voice.

there are two things that make a voice penetrate our skin, tear through muscle, infiltrate our veins and reverberate deep inside our bones. one is sheer unadulterated joy. the other is soul-shattering pain. lyons sang both like a true blues-funk-soul-sister. she turned the pain of knowing even the darkest truths into something sublime.

my reiki master knows i try to move beyond highs and lows, but sometimes my bones ache for them. my veins need a hit. and that's when i listen to the lyons.

marie "queenie" lyons - see and don't see:


related to this:


derek... thanks for taking me back with your track, my other love.