Monday, April 2, 2012

song for the berber woman

berber women in parts of africa are restricted from dancing, or must do so on their knees.

we may feel outrage at this, but how about resrictions we put on ourselves? i for one have spent so much of my life containing myself.

i've restricted words, movements, emotions, covered myself up, locked myself in... you name the cage, i've built and lived in it.

yet recently i've felt distrust melt into innocent friendliness. opinions loosen into open-mindedness. and stiffness flower into the most oddly refreshing movement... like learning to walk for the first time.

discussing this with one of my teachers, i mentioned the idea of swirling with the sufis. his response was that even this would limit; that i should instead find a forest and let the natural world move me.

and here deep in the forest what music would rattle through my head, pour out of my ears and echo through the trees? something berber, no doubt.

listen: abdelli - amazine (moonlight):


or perhaps:

find out more at www.abdelli.com