Tuesday, March 11, 2008

mmm.... mulatu




my colleague has been stuck on standby in addis ababa, ethiopia for four days now following a business trip. on a brighter note - who knew that ethiopian airlines has duty free music?!

specially packaged and available inflight, is a recording by prolific ethio-jazz icon, mulatu astatke. schooled in europe and north america, astatke returned to his native ethiopia in 1969 to pioneer a wave of ethiopian jazz music that blended african, latin, modern jazz and ethiopian instrumentation. a highly addictive brew filled with infectious energy.

i'm sure my colleague could use some of that until she finds a flight home.

so in the meantime...

mulatu astatke - yegelle tezeta ("my own memories"):


thanks to jim jaramusch's film, broken flowers for getting this into my head. and for making me want to get my hands on astatke's work.